You are here

Conditions Used in Determining Residence Status - Non-U.S. Residents

There are two ways an international student can qualify for waiver of non-resident tuition.
  1. A student may be declared a resident if either parent is a graduate of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
  2. A student who has been lawfully admitted to the U.S. for permanent residence and has proof of such status shall be in possession of his/her Form I-551 or I-151 Alien Registration Receipt Card or passport officially stamped "approved as resident alien" and who has established residence under any of the following provisions shall be declared a resident of the State:
  1. A student may be classified as a resident of Louisiana at the end of twelve (12) consecutive months of residence if employed in Louisiana and during that period he/she has not been registered in any educational institution for more than six (6) semester hours in any semester during this time.
  2. A student who is married to a Louisiana resident may acquire the resident status of his/her spouse.
  3. A student living with his/her parents is classified as a resident if the parents have established a bona fide residence in Louisiana.  A parent is considered to have established a residence in Louisiana if actually residing and and employed full time in the State.