You are here

Undergraduate Grade Options for Spring 2020

Grade options of Pass (P), Emergency D (ED), and Emergency F (EF) can be requested by undergraduate students enrolled in courses that were intended to be in-person throughout Spring 2020, but were changed to remote instruction as a result of COVID-19.

The grading process is as follows:

  • Faculty will grade students as usual during the semester, and submit the final letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) earned by the student to the Registrar's Office using the standard grade submission process.
  • The option to convert a grade can be requested by the student after final grades are posted. It allows students to request to replace a letter grade of:
    • C or better with a grade of P (Pass);
    • D with a letter grade of ED (Emergency D); or
    • F with a letter grade of EF (Emergency F).

Students must submit a request to convert to P/ED/EF to their college dean’s office (see below). The request must then be approved by:

  • Department head over the course;
  • Dean over the course; and
  • Dean over the student’s major.

The request must be initiated after grades are posted on May 12th and by 11:59 pm on May 20, 2020.

NOTE: Individual colleges may determine that their students, and/or some of their courses, are not eligible for this option, and will publish this information.

UPDATED 3/11/2021: Emergency grades will not be in effect for Spring 2021.

How to request a pass or emergency grade

Students should initiate the request by emailing their college dean's office (see below).

The request must be initiated after grades are posted on May 12th and by 12 a.m. on May 20, 2020.

Email template for your request

Below is an email template that should be used to make the request. Simply copy and paste the template into your email draft and edit accordingly. (Must be sent from your University-issued email account) (Must be sent to your Academic Dean's Office email address - Your academic dean is the dean of your major)
Subject: Emergency Grade Request for SP20 for C00000000 (Put your ULID)


I would like to request an emergency grade for my SP20 course(s). All required information is below.

ULID: C00000000

Name: First Name | Middle Initial | Last Name (Jane M. Doe)

CRN (Course Refernce Number), Subject, Course Number Section (EX: 40000  MATH 105-001)

I would like the grade of F to be changed to EF. (In your statement include your current grade and the grade requested, P, ED, EF) Repeat course information and statement if requesting for multiple courses.

Thank you,
Jane Doe

Dean’s Office Contact Information:

Academic College Email Contact
Business Administration
Liberal Arts
Nursing and Allied Health
University College (General Studies)
University Connection (Non-Degree, HS Dual Enrollment)

How do the P, ED, EF grades affect GPA?

  • Grades of P, ED, and EF will not be factored into the student's grade point average.
  • A grade of P will provide academic credit and will count toward curricular, major, minor, academic progress, and graduation requirements. A grade of ED will also count toward such requirements provided a grade of C is not required in the student’s curriculum.