A preferred/used name is an alternate first name that differs from a person’s legal first name. Any student may choose to identify themselves within the University’s information system with a preferred/used name in addition to their legal name.
Requesting Use of a Preferred/Used Name
Students may request to add, edit, or remove their preferred/used name by completing a Preferred/Used Name Request form.
Once submitted, this form will update the following information systems:
Self-Service Applications, includes Student Profile and Class Rosters
The name display will be as follows:
- Student's Legal first name (Preferred/Used name) Legal last name - ex. Sally (Sam) Deaux
- Student Success Manager/CRM Advise – Academic Success Center
- MediCat – Student Health Services
- Handshake - Career Services
- MS Teams**
** must indicate on the Preferred/Used Name Request Form
You may update your preferred/used name to additional systems and/or offices by doing the following:
- Open Zoom via web browser. Click on the edit button on the right side of the name from the profile section. Edit the display name, scroll down, and save.
- Visit the Cajun Card Office in the Student Union, Room 134, to request an updated card with your preferred/used name. Your preferred/used name will be present on the front of the card and your legal name will be on the back. Replacement card fees apply.
- AIM – Office of Disability Services (student enters personal information into system)
- ILLiad – University Library (student has option to enter preferred name)
While the University is looking to and actively working on the expansion of preferred/used name usage, the preferred/used name will not appear in the following locations:
- Transcripts (Official and Unofficial)
- Diplomas and Graduate Certificates
- Any legally binding document produced by the University
Legal name may be required to be used due to relevant law, policy, regulation, or mandate.
Questions about Preferred/Used Name - Please visit the Preferred/Used Name FAQs page.